Working with Interpreters
Thursday 6 October 2016 | Tuesday 6 December 2016 | Wednesday 1 March 2017 | Wednesday 31 May 2017
There is more to hiring an interpreter than finding someone who speaks another language. If an untrained interpreter misses certain cues then critical pieces of information can get lost, possibly impacting on an individual’s immigration status, health, entitlements or opportunities. This skills and information-based course will build the confidence, knowledge and skills you require to work effectively with spoken language interpreters.
We will train service providers in the processes of using an interpreter, including where the responsibility lies for the success of the interpreted session. We will examine the pitfalls - and consequences – of this challenging aspect of service provision, looking at confidentiality, professional boundaries, including appropriate behaviour and standards, and evaluation processes. If you are going to hire interpreters, this course will ensure you possess the tools you need to ensure the best outcomes.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the legal context and qualifications that govern interpreters in the EU, UK and Scotland
- Know the different types of interpreting - their strengths and weaknesses
- Identify the differences between an interpreter and a bi-lingual support worker, and who to use when
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of interpreters and Service Providers
- Understand the rights of the client – confidentiality, professional boundaries, advocacy and advice
- Recognise when it is inappropriate to use a family member, a friend or a community member to interpret
- Improve listening skills and clarity in spoken language
- Feel confident to know what to do when it doesn’t feel right
- Begin to develop an interpreter policy and protocol
This course is for you if:
You wish to use an interpreter or you use interpreters either occasionally or frequently in your day-to-day work.
How to book
Find out training costs and how to book on our training homepage.