Refugee Rights to Housing
Thursday 10 November 2016 | Thursday 30 March
Scotland is a welcoming home for people seeking sanctuary from war and persecution, with growing communities of refugees making new lives for themselves. As more asylum seekers and refugees are settled throughout Scotland, it places a greater emphasis on people working with refugees to understand their housing rights in order to help them to forge fully integrated lives.
This course identifies the different groups of asylum seekers and refugees most likely to seek housing in Scotland. You will learn how to identify their legal rights, and the duties and obligations on local authorities and other housing organisations towards them. Using group work and common scenarios we will demonstrate how you can assist refugees to achieve sustainable and successful housing goals.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise the legal difference between asylum seekers, refugees and migrants
- Define and apply information on leave to remain, time limitation and public funds to entitlements to housing, benefits and social work support
- Understand the duties and obligations on service providers to provide housing and support to asylum seekers and refugees
- Understand the role of different agencies working with refugees and where to refer refugees and asylum seekers for additional help
- Understand how the Immigration Acts of 2014 and 2016 will impact on the housing options for refugees who rent privately or directly from a housing association
- Identify the factors that affect refugee integration and how these affect the sustainability of refugee housing
- Assess the common cases most likely to present themselves to Service Providers and how to implement best practice in supporting refugees
You should attend this course if:
You are an advisor, a support worker, or a member of frontline staff who may come into contact with refugees and asylum seekers. This course is also perfect for you if you make strategic or policy decisions that would affect this group of people.
How to book
Find out training costs and how to book on our training homepage.