Integration and Working with Syrian Families
Friday 7 October 2016 | Wednesday 7 December 2016 | Thursday 2 March 2017 | Thursday 1 June 2017
Syrian families have had to endure severe hardships before they get to Scotland. While we recognise that they are in a vulnerable state, we also know that they are amazingly resilient, and we can play a vital role in supporting them towards successful integration. From showing them how to use the services, to building networks and friendships, this course will enhance your ability to work effectively with Syrian families.
We will examine the issues facing Syrian refugees as they move from countries around Syria to the UK, and highlight the challenges and opportunities they face as they build new lives in Scotland. You will be equipped to help Syrian families to create social bridges, bonds and links to empower them to stand on their own and lead full lives in their new home.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise the legal difference between people seeking asylum, refugees and migrants
- Have an insight into why families have fled Syria, where they have come from, and how the Vulnerable Persons Relocation (VPR) scheme works
- Consider the challenges facing those who arrive in a new country, including susceptibility to dependence on service providers
- Understand the Indicators of Refugee Integration Framework and develop Personal Integration Plans (PIPs) to create independence
- Consider the challenges and opportunities of all aspects of integration, and how to chart learning and progress
- Understand the importance of collaborating effectively with receiving communities
- Consider the role of the Arts in integration, including linking in to Refugee Festival Scotland 2017
You should attend this course if:
You have a direct or indirect role in welcoming and working with newly-arrived Syrian families. The course is also designed for you if you make decisions affecting services that refugees are likely to access.
How to book
Find out training costs and how to book on our training homepage.